Vaginoplasty Postop Instructions
- Avoid all strenuous activity for one month following surgery (no pushing, pulling, lifting more than twenty pounds, straining, excessive walking).
- Resume a normal diet, but avoid excessive alcohol intake.
- Avoid smoking for one month postoperatively.
- Resume showering after your first postoperative visit. Be sure to pat dry and avoid aggressively rubbing incisional areas.
- Patients can resume showering after their first postoperative visit, and taking baths 8 weeks postoperatively.
- Refer to additional instructions below regarding dilation.
- Hormones can be resumed 5 days postoperatively unless you are instructed otherwise.
- Use the largest dilator that can be comfortably inserted.
- Prior to insertion into the vagina, ensure the dilator is clean.
- Clean the dilator with warm water and antibacterial soap. Rinse well and dry with a clean paper towel or cloth.
- Apply SurgiLube or KY Jelly to the dilator prior to insertion. Only use water based lubrication. Avoid silicone-based lubricants.
- Gently insert dilator into the vagina at an angle of 45 degrees until under the pubic bone. Then continue inserting straight inward.
- Expect to feel a small amount of resistance and tenderness. Stop immediately if there is too much resistance or severe pain. Try a smaller dilator if possible.
- Insert the dilator into the full depth of the vagina (until you feel moderate pressure or resistance) and leave in place for 10 minutes. You should be inserting until only two white dots remain outside of the vagina.
- Start dilating three times daily for three months on the day the vaginal packing is removed.
- Dilation frequency: 0-3 months after surgery 3 times/day for 10 minutes each time, 3-6 months after surgery 1/day for 10 minutes each time, more than 6 months after surgery 2-3/week for 10 minutes each time.
- You may start using the next size dilator after three months of dilating. You should use the next size for three months.
- If the vagina begins to feel tight, increase the frequency of the dilation schedule.
- You should use the soap and water to cleanse the vaginal canal after each dilation.